Thursday, February 17, 2011

High-Raw Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookie Balls

I must admit that this recipe was heavily inspired by Peas and Thank You, and probably a little bit by Love Veggies and Yoga (she has so many recipes for balls and other desserts that it would be hard to say something wasn't a small alteration away from being hers), but I digress (sans photos. I'm very sorry, as I too judge a blog based on its photo quality and quantity, but I don't usually think to pull out the camera when there is access to good lighting, and my phone simply won't do when natural lighting is not there). Here is my recipe for chocolate chip raisin balls. The non-raw type happen to be my favourite cookies, especially when put together with oats. And speaking of which, you could use more dates and stir in some rolled oats when you add the chocolate chips and raisins for oatmeal chocolate chip raisin balls. You could also add in some cocoa powder for extra chocolate-y goodness.

I should also mention that I never know how many balls or cookies a recipe makes. You could say that I'm a fan of taste-testing. That's part of the beauty of vegan baking (or unbaking, as we are doing here). You don't have to worry about food poisoning or salmonella from raw eggs if you taste-test.

1 cup raw unpasteurized nuts or seeds (I used a mixture of almonds, walnuts and cashews, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand or prefer)
2/3 cup to 3/4 cup dates (if your dates are dry then you could soak them for a few hours and then obviously drain them prior to use)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp chocolate chips (you could also make raw chocolate and cut it into chips)
1 tbsp raisins
cinnamon
nutmeg
sea salt

In a food processor or high-speed blender, add the nuts, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, and pulse until pulverised. Put the mixture in a bowl, and then pulse the dates and vanilla extract until almost smooth. Add in the nuts and pulse until it becomes a dough that should stick together when pressed.

Remove mixture from food processor or blender and stir in the chocolate chips and raisins. Roll into balls.

I like to freeze them and eat a few with coconut ice cream, but they're just as good at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe. I was looking for a nice thing to make my boyfriend for a snack. I am going to make it once I get the ingredients. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete