Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chia Raisin Cupcakes



Makes two cupcakes

1/4 cup chia seeds
1/3 cup + 2-3 tbsp raisins
celtic sea salt
cinnamon
nutmeg
vanilla

1. Grind up your chia seeds in a high-speed blender or coffee grinder. I used my Magic Bullet.
2. Add in your raisins and seasonings to taste, and blend.
3. Serve them in baking cups, roll them into balls, or eat it straight out of the blender. Not speaking from experience at all...

I put mine into my favourite cupcake liners and topped one with three banana slices (I topped bowl of romaine lettuce with the rest of the banana. Have you tried this before? IT'S SO GOOD!), more cinnamon and a tiny pinch of celtic sea salt. I'm weird in that I like my sweets to be salty. Sometimes.
You could also top it with some cheesecake mousse, which I totally would have done had I not given up sweets sweetened with anything but whole or dried fruit. I also would have added cocoa powder, but I gave that up too. And gluten (except for my steel-cut oats. I can't live without the option of having my grains in the morning, and being on a college budget I didn't want to go out and buy more quinoa after I ran out when I already had steel-cut oats left over).
I should also mention that this doesn't really stick together well unless you really pack it together, so I ate mine with a fork. Also, I haven't had bread or cake in a month, so I might be delusional and stretching it a bit in calling these cupcakes. Oh well =)

Variations:
add cocoa powder for a chocolate cupcake
fold in shredded raisins and chopped walnuts, and blend a few dates when you add the raisins for a carrot cake cupcake
use as a topping for raw apple crisp
throw some on top of a romaine lettuce leaf with some banana slices (and maybe some cacao nibs and chopped up dates or a drizzle of agave or brown rice syrup) for a sweet "taco"




Tomorrow I'm going to have the second one in my oatmeal. Mmmmm.

12 comments:

  1. That is such an amazing idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound amazing!! I have to try and make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the texture like? I've always found chia seeds to be kind of weird, but I've never ground them up before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!
    They're just a bit lighter than regular dough balls, which is why I made them into cupcakes, but I think that might be because of the raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will take some of these please :) They look so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get to the store and get some chia seeds, they keep sounding better and better--yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really loving your creativity! :)

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!
    They're just a bit lighter than regular dough balls, which is why I made them into cupcakes, but I think that might be because of the raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such an amazing idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the texture like? I've always found chia seeds to be kind of weird, but I've never ground them up before!

    ReplyDelete