Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Creamy Dreamy Barley Milk

I love soy milk, but only when it's full of either vanilla or chocolate, which usually means it's pretty processed and full of sugar (evaporated cane sugar is still sugar, people. It's not "healthy," nor is "raw" brown sugar. It's all a lie, yo).

I love almond milk, but for some reason I find it's a pain to make at home (though if you want to have a go at making your own, try Morgan's recipe from Little House of Veggies. Her blog is amazing, btw. All of the recipes I've tried from it have been huuuge hits).

I looove coconut milk, but I like to keep my consumption of food from cans to a minimum, and even if I could find the other stuff in the refrigerated section it would still be pretty processed and would have stuff I don't really want in it, and then buying enough fresh coconuts to make a decent amount of my own coconut milk would get expensive, with regards to both money and fuel.

I love rice milk, but whenever I make it at home it's just not creamy enough, and though some of the stuff in stores is unsweetened it still usually has some kind of oil in it, and I like to keep my consumption of oil to a minimum as well (the only exception to this rule is raw coconut oil. It's the bomb.com and it's easier to digest than olive oil, AND I read somewhere that it's the only oil that isn't stored as fat. Idk if it's true, but it's good either way).

That's where barley milk come in. It's my new fave thing. I don't have anything to sweeten it with, but I think barley is kind of naturally sweet (or maybe I'm just crazy) so it doesn't really need it. If I had stevia I would probably use it, but it's not really necessary.



I used the same method as Heather below. I cooked 1/2 cup of barley in 4 cups of water until all the water was absorbed, and then I blended it in the Magic Bullet with equal parts barley to fresh, filtered water and strained it through a mesh strainer into a bowl and transferred it to a glass jar. I ate some over PB&J granola with some organic bloobs. Tomorrow morning I'll either have some blended with equal parts green juice or in my kamut cereal, depending on what I am in the mood for at brekky time. If you try it, tell me what you think. Also I'm thinking about writing a few posts on nutrition and stuff so there might not be as many recipes in the future. Just a heads up :)



What's your favourite non-dairy milk?

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, I'm not a big fan drinking or using milks. I don't know why-- just not a milk person in general! When I was a kid, my mom never bought cows milk, and we weren't allowed to drink it if it was in the house (yogurt and cheese are another story however). I've wanted to make oat milk for a while now, though! And I make almond milk for the family-- they go gaga for it!

    If I HAD to choose a milk though, the So Delicious brand of coconut milk (in the carton) is excellent. THAT is one I like on my cereal-- but it's really expensive and is heavily packaged, so it's only for when guests come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I'm not a big fan drinking or using milks. I don't know why-- just not a milk person in general! When I was a kid, my mom never bought cows milk, and we weren't allowed to drink it if it was in the house (yogurt and cheese are another story however). I've wanted to make oat milk for a while now, though! And I make almond milk for the family-- they go gaga for it!

    If I HAD to choose a milk though, the So Delicious brand of coconut milk (in the carton) is excellent. THAT is one I like on my cereal-- but it's really expensive and is heavily packaged, so it's only for when guests come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the process of making the rice milk recipe in the video above. My rice does not look like hers! I have so much starch in the water it is more like paste than water.
    I'm not sure if I should rinse it or what I should do?
    Has anyone else experienced this?

    ReplyDelete