Monday, May 23, 2011

The Joys of Dairy

Now obviously I'm being sarcastic when I say the "joys" of it, because it causes a lot of pain to a lot of people. In fact, it's related to MOST of the problems in this world. Health issues (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, e. coli... the list goes on and on!), environmental issues (sludge, contaminated water, and loss of biodiversity, anyone?), hunger issues (for lack of better wording - sorry!) in impoverished areas (though I guess that kind of relates to health), you name it, it can probably be traced back to dairy (and/or meat, including red meat, white meat, seafood, and eggs). All these problems are being perpetuated by the propaganda of the dairy (and meat) industry to consume their products, because according to them their products make us healthier. Sound familiar? In the 50s and 60s, doctors used to recommend consuming tobacco products. Now we realize that it's totally ridiculous and we know how bad it is for us, so most of us tend to shy away from it. I believe that this is what will soon be happening with dairy. Dairy doesn't do a body good. If you don't agree, then you need to see this video. If you do agree, still watch it so you'll have the power (knowledge is power, after all, is it not?) to defend yourself against the, ahem, stupidity and/or ignorance of some stubborn dairy (and meat) consumers who will preach just as the ads tell them to.



What's your stance on milk? I'm quite sure that I've made mine clear, though I haven't even really gotten into it. Should I do a full post on it? Lemme know!

7 comments:

  1. Dairy made me feel yucky!
    I do not miss the stuff at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome video! :) Cheese was my favorite food on earth but once I ditched it, I could NOT go back to feeling the way I did, ever.

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I didn't realize how much if affected me until I went vegan. That probably doesn't make any sense since I don't drink milk anymore, but one time I got a soy latte from Starbucks and they put whipped cream on it. I didn't ask for no whip so I felt kind of bad and thought it would be okay to just scrape it off the top. Nope. I had major stomach pains for two days after that. It was horrible. I don't know why they would think I wanted whipped cream on a soy latte either, since people would probably only be drinking soy if they didn't consume dairy, whipped cream included, or if they were more "health conscious," so whipped cream wouldn't exactly be on the menu.

    Whitney, isn't it awesome? I'm a total health nut and watch all their videos and frequent their site quite a bit. I used to looove cheese and milk and pretty much every animal product except eggs (though they were kind of fun to crack. Not fun enough to not give them up ;) ) because they made me feel icky, but once I found out about the horrors of the meat and dairy industry I didn't feel right. I've always loved animals so it didn't make sense to love some and eat others. Even if they were treated "humanely" it's still exploitation, which is not okay in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video is just perfect!! I would love to show it to anyone just to let them realize how bad milk is! It is horrible that there are so many campaings promoting milk and milk, when there are obvious reasons for not drinking it anymore. Since I stopped drinking it, I feel so much better and also healthier, dare I say even prettier. Just out of curiosity, I tried milk again a couple of moths ago in my coffee and oh boy, it was terrible - my stomach bloated, my intestines went crazy (sorry for TMI) and it was all because of half a cup of milk. I am probably never coming back to milk, it does no good. And there are so great alternatives as hemp milk, almond milk, even a quinoa milk... Much healthier and better for you. Great post Stephanie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenna, I know right?! There are so many people who wrongly (and unfortunately for both themselves and the animals) think that we need dairy products to live. If we needed them, then why were they put in the udders of another animal, who uses it to feed her babies.
    Hah, don't worry about the TMI. I haven't ever tried quinoa milk, but I bet it would be delicious. I looove quinoa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to hear a full post on dairy! I am vegan, so obviously anti-dairy. I was never passionately against it health-wise (just environment/etc.) until I went vegan/stopped eating dairy and suddenly went from having head colds every other week to having NO sinus problems. Since then, I've talked to other vegans who report the same thing...definitely makes you wonder. I'm watching that video as soon as I'm out of work and get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan, I didn't realize how much if affected me until I went vegan. That probably doesn't make any sense since I don't drink milk anymore, but one time I got a soy latte from Starbucks and they put whipped cream on it. I didn't ask for no whip so I felt kind of bad and thought it would be okay to just scrape it off the top. Nope. I had major stomach pains for two days after that. It was horrible. I don't know why they would think I wanted whipped cream on a soy latte either, since people would probably only be drinking soy if they didn't consume dairy, whipped cream included, or if they were more "health conscious," so whipped cream wouldn't exactly be on the menu.

    Whitney, isn't it awesome? I'm a total health nut and watch all their videos and frequent their site quite a bit. I used to looove cheese and milk and pretty much every animal product except eggs (though they were kind of fun to crack. Not fun enough to not give them up ;) ) because they made me feel icky, but once I found out about the horrors of the meat and dairy industry I didn't feel right. I've always loved animals so it didn't make sense to love some and eat others. Even if they were treated "humanely" it's still exploitation, which is not okay in my books.

    ReplyDelete