Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kale Chips

Good morning, my wonderful bloggies. I'm sitting here sipping on my green juice wondering how I failed to realize that blogger was down earlier this week. Oh well.


Into the Breville went a whole bunch of dandelion greens, half a bunch of celery, a lemon and three apples. Green juice makes me feel wonderful. I wouldn't recommend trying this particular green juice if it's your first time (maybe try Mama Pea's Green Juice) because the dandelion greens are so bitter, but if you're into green juice and in the mood for a good cleanse, then this might be right up your alley.

As you can see, I like getting my greens in. I eat them at least twice a day, and some days it's at every meal. I like love Hugh Jass salads for lunch and dinner, and steamed greens in the morning with some whole grains (cooked in loooots of water so they're easily digestible) make me feel like I'm flying. Some days, however, I'm just not feeling the greens. That's where kale chips come in.

Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Kale Chips


1 bunch kale (I used purple kale for this batch)
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (I didn't really measure this so it's just an estimate.
celtic sea salt

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet liner. I just used one baking sheet and did this in two batches but if you can fit more than one baking sheet into your oven then you can do it all at once.
Tear the leaves off the kale stems into chip-sized pieces. Keep in mind that they shrink quite a bit when they bake. Put your pieces of kale into a bowl and gently massage in balsamic vinegar and sea salt. Place your kale chips onto your baking sheet in a single layer and bake for approximately 5 minutes on one side, then take them out, flip them over and bake them on the other side for 2-3 minutes or until crispy. Make sure you don't burn them, because there isn't really anything worse than burnt kale chips. Let cool and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I need to eat more greens. I think I'm going to be all brave and throw spinach in my regular afternoon smoothie--don't think I'm ready for green juice just yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kale chips! It's been too long since I last made them :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO making these. I have a bunch of kale in my fridge that is just begging to jump into the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kale chips! It's been too long since I last made them :O

    ReplyDelete