Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Seven Things About ME!

Just over a week ago, the wonderful Lenna at Czech Vegan nominated me for the Seven Things About Me award. If we look at my blogging record, I don't think I deserve any awards, but we'll get on with it anyway :)


1. I live on Hugh Jass salads... and whole grains and beans, but mostly Hugh Jass salads like this one:



Baby spinach, arugula, baby bok choy, broccoli stalk, locally grown carrots, local-ish marinated tofu (I grilled it two days ago, and then today I warmed it up in the toaster oven so the outside got nice and crispy. Oh my peas, is it ever good!), lacinato kale, dulse flakes, sunflower seeds, raisins, and balsamic vinegar.

2. Most of the food I eat is either green or orange. Seriously. Leafy greens, broccoli, squash (especially kabocha. Oh, how I love kabocha squash), sweet potatoes and carrots are pretty much all I eat. Btw, did you know you can eat the broccoli stalk? I always threw it away until Mama Pea let me in on this. Now it's one of my fave foods ever.

3. I'm totally addicted to the computer, especially YouTube. Facebook is pretty empty to me, but YouTube? YouTube is my love <3 My fave YouTubers are the vlogbrothers, wheezywaiter, crabstickz, dailygrace, tyleroakley, disneykid1, communitychannel... nevermind, I could go on forever. If anyone wants to get totally addicted to YouTube, just lemme know and I'll give you a nice list of YouTubers to start watching.

4. I used to love steak. Like, I LOVED it. And chicken. And bacon. And veal. And cheese. And salami. And some fish. And I drank milk like no other. I've always hated eggs, though. So why am I telling you this? Because despite all that, I went vegan. When I learn things, I can't unlearn them. When I learnt of the horrors of factory farmed meat (btw, almost all of the meat in your supermarket is factory farmed. Even if it's not, it's still killing and exploiting animals, and no matter how "humane" they say it is, killing isn't humane, or at least it isn't to me), I couldn't eat meat anymore. I became a lacto-vegetarian. Tbh, though, it had a bit to do with the fact that I was really getting into yoga and wanted to follow a "yoga diet." When I found out that dairy was linked to the meat industry, specifically veal (aka baby cows fed an iron deficient diet so that they become anemic, who are kept in tiny cages so they can't move and develop their muscles properly, and who are killed within days of being taken away from their mothers at birth, all so you can have tender meat. Sick, isn't it?), I couldn't consume dairy anymore. This was a huge deal for me. I seriously had milk all the time and bought into the whole milk-does-a-body-good BS, and I was a cheese fiend. I could go through a wedge of brie in two days, tops. Guys, you have no excuses. If I could give all that up and still be happy with what I'm eating (and trust me, what I'm eating tastes SO much better than all the cheese in the world), not to mention how much better I feel, then you can go veg too. :)

5. I hate the word diet. Not for what it actually means, but because of what society has shaped it to mean. I always feel self conscious whenever I go buy "diet books" like The Kind Diet or Crazy Sexy Diet, which aren't typical diet books but rather foodie inspiration and information books.

6. I'm an environmentalist and I want to go into earth sciences. You know how I said when I learn something, I can't unlearn it? In my geographical biogeosciences class (omg long name, but I loved it SO much) last semester, one of the guest lecturers at the end of the semester was talking about how somewhere in the USSR there was this lake, and by this lake were some cotton fields. The lake provided water for surrounding residents to use, and the cotton fields were sprayed with copious amounts of pesticides, herbicides, and all that junk. Is it a surprise that cancer and birth defect rates went up in those residents? Of course not. Spraying crap on crops is gonna make you feel like crap. You reap what you sow. Now I don't feel good buying non-organic cotton, and I'm sure that as I learn more, more things are going to be added to this list. People are probably going to think I'm crazy, and that I'm just making my life that much harder, but if convenience is all that is driving your decisions, then we have a problem.

7. Don't think I'm crazy enough? Well, get ready: my dream job is to be an ecoterrorist alongside Paul Watson, captain of the Sea Shepherd. Seriously, if I could do that for the rest of my life, I so would. I'm so passionate about this shit that I'd be willing to put my life in, ahem, dangerous situations for it. This doesn't mean I'm a violent person. I'm quite the opposite, actually. I'm a really positive person, but when people go fishing the oceans dry and killing stuff without any regard for uh, anything other than their pocketbook, things get serious change.



I'm nominating the following people for this award, as well as everyone in my blogroll, which I am currently updating, so let me know if you want to be on it. Sorry if you've already been tagged, but it just means that you're that much more awesome :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, thanks for calling me "wonderful" :) I love your 7 things! Ecoterrorist sounds like a cool job, really :) And I agree with you, that the word "diet" got such a bad sound that it shouldn´t be used anymore, it just doesn´t mean anything good anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with number five. I have both of those books and feel so awkward telling people about them cause I think they assume that I'm on a diet.
    & make me a salad JUST like that, kay? Whenever I am in the mood for a salad I go buy all the stuff then make it once then everything goes bad. Not fun.

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenna, it's totally true :) Haha it's good to know that someone else thinks it sounds cool, so I don't feel nearly as crazy, though I totally spent like, an hour watching videos of Paul Watson today.

    Whitney, I hate all the stuff surrounding the word diet, because it's not just about food or losing weight, it has to do with everything in your life. Oh, and I totally feel like people judge me (not that I care about what other people think of me, because what other people say about me has nothing to do with me but everything to do with them) when I get a salad when I go out to eat. I just love my greens!
    Also the only reason that my stuff doesn't go bad is because I eat pretty much the same stuff every day and I don't let it get bad. I used to try to eat a new meal every meal and never repeat stuff but it doesn't ever work out for me, and I just end up eating stuff that doesn't make me feel great. Salad works, especially with a side of roasted veggies and/or quinoa. Also also, how freaking pretty is that flower thing with the bok choy? It was totally a fluke and when I made it I was like KAY, TAKING A PICTURE OF THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with number five. I have both of those books and feel so awkward telling people about them cause I think they assume that I'm on a diet.
    & make me a salad JUST like that, kay? Whenever I am in the mood for a salad I go buy all the stuff then make it once then everything goes bad. Not fun.

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete