Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spelt Bread

I'm usually not crazy about bread. That doesn't mean I'm some carb-phobic nut job. I'm not. I love carbs. I love quinoa, brown rice, oats, millet, kamut... the list goes on and on. I just don't care for bread. It doesn't fill me up and it doesn't really taste good enough for it to be worth it.

This bread is different... sort of. It doesn't fill me up as much as oats ever will (I can't eat for four to five hours after I have my morning oats, unless I do overnight oats in which case I'm hungry after an hour. It doesn't make sense, I know, but that's just the way it is) but I'm satisfied after one (rather thick) slice. It, like anything and everything else, tastes reeeeally good topped with raw coconut oil, cinnamon, a baby pinch of sea salt and some coconut flakes, or even just some added-sugar free jam. You could also use this recipe as a starting point for other breads. For a cinnamon raisin loaf, mix in a few teaspoons of cinnamon, some raisins and some maple syrup. For some added nutrition, fold in some shredded carrots and zucchini. You could also probably throw in a few ripe bananas in place of some of the liquid with some chocolate or carob chips. Does that sound good or what?!

Tonight I'm probably going to make some more tempeh bacon for some tempeh BLTs on this bread. Needless to say, I'm stoked.

Spelt Bread
Makes one loaf


Ingredients:
3 cups spelt flour
1 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour (I used my Magic Bullet)
3 tbsp whole flax seeds, ground into a meal (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 cup barley milk (you can sub this with your favourite non-dairy milk or just more water)
1 cup water
1/2 tbsp molasses

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or line it with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Add in the barley milk, water, and molasses and mix until combined. Transfer dough into loaf pan and top with additional rolled oats if desired.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on cooling rack for as long as you can handle, then cut yourself a piece and enjoy!

Do you like bread? Have you ever made your own? What's your favourite topping?

5 comments:

  1. Spelt is one of my fav flours! Definitely booking this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, isn't it totally the bomb?! Everything I make with it turns out to be a success. It still has yet to fail me, like so many other flours have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice recipe, I love spelt, I make spelt flakes porridge in the morning when I get tired of my oats :) I have nade bread once, manna bread from sprouted grains. It was a bit time consuming, but so worth it! I eat bread usually with salads, other way it is not much appealing to me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found your blog and this bread looks AMAZING. i am bookmarking the recipe and making it SOON! thanks for posting it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just found your blog and this bread looks AMAZING. i am bookmarking the recipe and making it SOON! thanks for posting it =)

    ReplyDelete