Thursday, May 12, 2011

Tempeh Bacon

I had originally planned on sharing a recipe for vegan gluten-free brown rice syrup sweetened cinnamon rolls but to be entirely honest they were gross. I've decided that I'm really not a fan of chickpea flour most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love chickpeas. I just don't like the flour. In the past I've made amaaaazing spelt cinnamon buns, so I think I'll work on those sometime soon, or maybe I'll try incorporating oat flour so I can keep them gluten-free.

Instead of the xgfx BRSS cinnamon rolls, I have a recipe/idea/video to share on tempeh bacon. I couldn't find liquid smoke anywhere, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, so I just used tamari, maple syrup, a tiny bit of cumin and some pepper. It was super delish and I totally ate the whole batch. It was that good. My non-veg (though I feel like he wants to/could go vegan but my mom won't let him/is standing in the way of a compassionate lifestyle) brother luuurved them. It doesn't taste exactly like bacon but that doesn't mean it wasn't tasty!


I had my tempeh bacon with a mochi waffle topped with a sliced banana and some frozen berries warmed up on the stove with a touch of maple syrup until they thickened up a bit, and a side of lightly steamed red kale. (Side note: red kale is quickly becoming my fave vegetable of all time. Papayas are my fave fruit, but they've gotta be super ripe. I had half of one this morning for breakfast filled with VOO and half a banana. SO good, though it would have been delicious even if I didn't have the VOO and banana. Papayas are better than candy.) I kind of forgot I had this breakfast until I looked through my iPhoto pictures again and I find myself really wanting this brekky again. The only way this could have been better would be if I had a green juice/lemon ginger blast a la liferegenerator, which btw I had two of yesterday to make up for the grody cinnamon buns (I hope it's the first and last time I'll ever have to say that), but what isn't better with green juice? Nothing, that's what.


Have you ever tried tempeh bacon? Do you like green juice? If so, what do you like in your green juice?

I like some celery, a lemon, some kale, some dandelion greens and half a cuke in my green juice.

4 comments:

  1. Yay i'm so glad I can finally comment!
    I've never had tempeh bacon but I sure do love making mochi waffles :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try some green juice. I've had green monsters but never juices. I love the idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even heard of tempeh bacon, but it may taste good:)
    I love green juices, I put everything I find around in them - spinach, celery, carrots, lemons, and a juicy apple is a nice final touch:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even heard of tempeh bacon, but it may taste good:)
    I love green juices, I put everything I find around in them - spinach, celery, carrots, lemons, and a juicy apple is a nice final touch:)

    ReplyDelete