Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ABC's of Food

I've been seeing this ABC's of food thing pop up on lots of blogs lately, namely Chelsey's, Gabriela's, and Emily's, and after seeing it on Katelyn's blog, I decided I just had to do it.

A is for Apple: What’s your favorite variety?

Fuji, Ambrosia or Pink Lady, in that order.

B is for Bread: Regardless of nutrition, what is your favourite type?
I'm not a huge fan of bread, but when I do get bread, I get the stuff from Planet Organic that doesn't have very many ingredients, and I'm pretty sure there's a local one with spelt flour, carrots and raisin syrup. Or I make my own.


C is for Cereal: What is your favourite kind currently? (just one!)
Eh, I'm not a fan of cereal because it doesn't fill me up AT ALL, but when I do eat cereal, I like Kamut Puffs with a whole ton of raisins, sliced banana and some non-dairy milk.

D is for Donuts: You might not currently eat them, but what kind do you fancy?
OH that's easy. Boston cream donuts. I need to make some that are sugar free. Actually now that I think about it, I think the Babycakes NYC cookbook has a recipe for Boston cream cupcakes. They would probably use agave, but I could easily sub in brown rice syrup and maple syrup. Speaking of delish things, who else is absolutely in love with maple butter? I COULD LIVE ON THIS STUFF. I can't have it in the house anymore because like, every twenty minutes I'll go for a spoonful because it's sooo addictive, but so expensive.

E is for Eggs: How would you like yours prepared?
Gross. I haaaate eggs. Always have, always will. It came from a chicken's vajay. Grody.

F is for Fat Free: What is your favorite fat free product?
I like whole foods. Whole foods contain a mix of fat, carbs and protein. No whole food is truly fat free, so I don't like "fat free" products. If we're talking naturally low fat, then I'd say fruits and veggies, especially greens. And sweet potatoes. Oooh my peas, yesterday I had the best sweet potato ever, and I didn't even put anything on it. It was that good by itself :)'''

G is for Groceries: Where do you purchase yours?
Planet Organic and Amaranth. When I was in Vancouver, I got everything at Whole Foods.

H: is for Hot Beverages: What is your favorite hot drink?
Kukicha tea! It's sooo good. It's made from the same plant as green tea, but instead of using the leaves, kukicha tea uses the, uh, twigs/stems/other parts. It has way less caffeine, and it's alkalizing. Oh, and it's super delish. I could drink this stuff all day. Second fave would be warm water with lemon slices. Is that weird? I think it tastes good :D

I is for Ice Cream: Pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.
Anything by Luna and Larry's Coconut Bliss. Seriously. Anything and everything. It's too good to choose! It's really really really good when topped with Morgan's raw spiced chocolate truffles, or maybe some organic raspberries. :)
J is for Jams or Jellies: Do you eat them? If so, what kind and flavor?
I like Crofter's Just Fruit Jam. I like all their flavours, but I'm totally in love with anything strawberry, so if I had to choose, I'd say strawberry.

K is for Kashi: Name your favorite Kashi product?
None? All of the stuff that I've seen either has sugar or honey. I don't eat either of those, so I don't do Kashi. Even if it didn't have sugar or honey I still wouldn't eat Kashi products, because like I said above, I like whole foods, not processed foods.

L is for Lunch: What was yours today?
Hugh Jass salad, panini, and lemons in warm water. Om nom nom :)

M is for microwave: What is your favorite microwave meal/snack?
I'm not a fan of the microwave, but when I use it, it's usually to heat up some non-dairy milk in a pretty glass topped with cinnamon and nutmeg. It's sooo good :)'''

N is for nutrients: Do you like carbs, fats, or proteins best?
Carbs! Every cell in your body runs on glucose, and we have sugar sensors on the tip of our tongue (cats have amino sensors on the tip of their tongue, and they run more efficiently on proteins. They should eat meat, not us). If you wanna thrive, eat a high carb diet!

O is for oil: What kind do you like to use?
I kind of see oil as a processed food (I'm probably sounding totally restricting and picky so far with this survey, but trust me, I eat a whooole ton of yummy foods and I don't starve myself to stay "perfect") so I don't use it often, but sometimes as a fun treat (weirdo... ;) ) I'll use some olive oil on my salad. Other than that, the only oil I use is unrefined coconut oil. Though it's high in saturated fat, it's a cleaner oil than olive oil, and it goes through your system and doesn't store as fat. I use it instead of butter/Earth Balance, and I use it on my skin as a moisturizer/lotion. OH and I do oil pulling in the morning.

P is for protein: How do you get yours?
I like beans, lentils, greens, and sometimes seeds, but everything has protein and we really don't need to worry about protein. As long as you're getting a variety of whole foods every day and are eating enough to satisfy your hunger, your protein needs will be met. Most people actually get too much protein, and yet people are so worried about not getting enough. When was the last time you heard about someone with protein deficiency? Never? It doesn't exist!

Q is for Quaker: How do you like your oats?
Thick, creamy, warm, and cooked in lots of water, maybe with a few bananas cooked in too.

R is for roasting: What is your favourite thing to roast?
Gold beets. They're in my salad today and they are the bomb.com

S is for sandwich: What’s your favourite kind?
The one I'm having right now. My mom got these 9 grain triangle buns and so for lunch, along with my Hugh Jass salad, I'm having a panini with some local-ish marinated tofu, spinach and arugula mix, and a creamy tomato pasta sauce that I made with soaked sunflower seeds, water, tomato, dried basil, garlic, sea salt and pepper, kind of inspired by Angela's recipe. It's sooo freaking good, guys.

T is for travel: How do you handle eating while traveling?
I just realized that I haven't really gone anywhere (other than Vancouver, but when my mom and I first got there we only went to vegan restaurants, so it wasn't hard finding good food for me to eat) since I've gone veg, and before I went veg I wasn't a terribly healthy eater when I went out. I mean, I thought I was healthy, but it turns out that meat and cheese and all that fun stuff isn't really good for you. Anyway, I like to use Happy Cow to find vegan, vegetarian, and veg-friendly restaurants around where I'm at. Below is one of the meals my mom and I shared when we went to Gorilla Food in Vancouver. I got the Creamy Dream Avocado Carrot and Basil soup, which came with raw hummus and raw bread, my mom got the Nice Bowl, and we shared the Mix-up salad with Avocado Ginger dressing. Three words: Best. Salad. Ever. I also got the Strawberry Zing smoothie, and we tried a whole bunch of their desserts, including the carrot cake (my fave carrot cake of all time, and that's saying a lot), the chocolate hempseed pie, the dark raw chocolate fudge (enjoyed in our hotel room, where we wished we had gotten enough to fill a swimming pool) and some other little treats. The day before (yes, we went twice in two days. It was toooo good!) I got the pesto pizza, and it was really good too. I think my mom got one of the sandwiches. I don't have any pictures from the first day because my phone died, though. Also isn't it kind of amazing that I remembered all that? If you're in Van, you HAVE to go there.


U is for unique: What is one of your weirdest food combos?
Uh, I put raisins in my salad. Oh and sometimes, when I have romaine lettuce and wonderfully ripe bananas, I slice some bananas on top of the romaine. It's delish. Or I'll put some raw almond butter on the banana and put that in a romaine lettuce leaf wrap. Again, so delish, but not really weird.

V is for vitamins: What kind do you take?
Other than the occasional B12, I don't take vitamins. I used to be really good at taking B12, and I used to take a multivitamin, but you really don't need vitamins to be healthy if you're eating a variety of whole foods.

W is for wasabi: Yay or nay?
Yay! I loove wasabi. Sushi isn't sushi for me without wasabi.

X is XRAY: If we xrayed your belly right now, what food would we see?
Hugh Jass salad and a deeeelish panini. :D

Y is for youth: What food reminds you of your childhood?
Grilled cheese sandwiches, grapes, warm chocolate chip cookies, gnocchi, and shell pasta with ricotta. Below are some veganized versions. The one on top is a vegan grilled chreeze sandwich with steamed red chard from my Nonna's garden, and the one below that shows the stuffed manicotti pasta with tofu ricotta and organic tomato sauce on top, which was then baked and eaten with teary eyes (I made it the day before I went to Italy, and it was the day I found out whether or not I was accepted to my dream schools. Nope, even though EVERYONE told me I was gonna get in. Ugh). At least it tasted good. Also, I totally thought I found the recipe on Little House of Veggies, but I just looked and couldn't find it, so I have no idea where I found it. Who knows, maybe I made it up :D


Z is for zucchini: How do you prepare it?
Raw and chopped on salads, roasted, on the grill, or as raw zucchini noodles.

10 comments:

  1. Cool survey! I have never tried golden beets, I like Kukicha tea (even the name is funny), and I enjoy hot water with lemon juice sometimes and it is quite tasty and refreshing. I put raisins in my couscous salads :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice answers and OMG LOL on your answer about eggs:) But I feel the same:) I am glad I finally found someone who is not a fan of cereal, I don´t eat it either and I always felt a bit strange because everyone is so crazy about it:) And you are so right about carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love ABC posts! must do one soon too! i put raisins in my salads too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisabeth, thanks! Before this week I hadn't tried them either, and now I'm totally in looove with them. I need to have more couscous salads, though. They're sooo good :)

    Lenna, HAH thanks. Down with unsatisfying cereal, bring on the real carbs! :D

    Emma, you HAVE to do one. It's like, a blogger must-do. I guess the raisins in my salad thing isn't as weird of a combo as I thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, isn't it SO GOOD? Usually in Calgary I've only been able to find the little jars but I found some in Vancouver that was like, twice the size. I have no idea why I didn't buy it when I had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your answer to F! I totally agree. I hate seeing people that don't eat "fats"! It breaks my heart.


    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whitney, I know! Life isn't worth living without avocados, coconut and sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whitney, I know! Life isn't worth living without avocados, coconut and sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete