Friday, June 3, 2011

Why I'm a Vegan

There are a lot of things I don't get. One of them is people who say they're going against veganism, and they're okay with it because they didn't do it for the animals, and that it was purely for health purposes. Now they feel something missing, and they feel the need to consume animals and their products to fill that void. Maybe the answer isn't going to be in using your body as a graveyard. You might find some fulfillment in adding other things to your life, like compassion for all beings no matter the species.

When people ask me why I'm a vegan, I don't have just one answer. My decisions I am more complex than that. I'm a vegan because I don't believe in exploitation. I'm a vegan because I want to limit the pain and suffering I'm responsible for in this world. I'm a vegan because I don't think killing, especially for selfish desires like taste, is ever the right thing to do. I'm a vegan because I'm thankful for all that I have, and I don't want to ruin all that the planet has been given to me. I'm a vegan because I don't want to fill my body with crap that I know has the potential to ruin, and sometimes even take away, countless lives from diseases that need never exist. I'm a vegan because it's the only "diet" on which it is possible to thrive, because I don't want to get out of life just surviving. I'm a vegan because I love life in all its forms, and I want to do all that I can to preserve that. I'm a vegan because I want to be the eternal peace everyone's talking about, and I don't see how all the other BS fits into that.


"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members; the last, the least, the littlest."
- Cardinal Roger Mahony (1998)

Limiting yourself to just one facet for your decisions can be dangerous, and leaves room for you to fall back on them. Expand your consciousness and let yourself grow in ways you didn't think possible.

This post was sparked by Chef Katelyn's most recent post. I left a comment should anyone want to read it. Kind of similarly (okay, not really, but if you squint hard mould it a bit then you can see the resemblance) is this post by Gena at Choosing Raw that I absolutely adore, though I love pretty much everything about Gena. Gena also did a post at JL Goes Vegan a while ago on the ethics of veganism, which, as expected, I love.

I'm not asking any questions today. If you feel compelled to comment, then comment away. If not, then don't. I'm a vegan, but I don't judge.

9 comments:

  1. I do. I love other Vegans :) The ones that are in it for the long haul and that don't take the first opportunity to justify why they can't do it. The ones that know it takes time & energy to change your diet and as long as you keep working towards a kinder diet, eventually you will get there and never look back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you for that comment (I was getting so frustrated!) and for this post. nice to meet you:]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post! I so agree with all your points for being vegan. It is not about one reason but a combination of feelings/attitudes/opinions that grew up in you during a couple of years and makes you realize that being vegan is an awesome, beneficial way of celebrating life and all it gives us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paquita, I <3 vegans too :) I couldn't have said it better myself. I think you get the award for best comment ever. I mean, I love all the comments on my blog dearly, but fo' real, that was one of the best.

    Meg, haha, it's good to know that someone appreciated it. I don't think it was very well received with everyone else, as it's the only one with a negative score. Oh well. To hell with everyone else! :D

    Lenna, THANK YOU MY DEAR <3 yup yup yup. LOOOOVE it. :) People are so worried about veganism being too limiting or restrictive, but they're limiting themselves keeping things down to one reason. As humans we're so much bigger/more complex than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed with everything 100%! That's why it's sometimes hard for me to explain to others why I'm vegan and more often they don't want to understand. And how can I give a one sentence answer anyway? Oh well their loss :D Go vegans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paulina, I know, and then you go on a spiel about why you're veg and they totes just tune you out. Ugh. Go vegans all the way!

    Emma, woop woop! Go vegans! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you for that comment (I was getting so frustrated!) and for this post. nice to meet you:]

    ReplyDelete