Tuesday, June 21, 2011

WIAW #4

It's that time again (I feel like I've used that "opening line" before, but I'll go with it)...




Brekky: Green juice with a head of lettuce, three stalks of celery, a third of a bunch of dandelion greens (the ONLY bunch I could find this week in the two stores I go to), half a cuke, a piece of daikon, half a lemon, two little gold beets and a Hugh Jass piece of ginger. I also had a glass of water with a teaspoon of psyllium husk powder and a tablespoon of liquid bentonite clay. I'm hoping it will clear my skin, because I've tried everything else and nothing else has worked. Beautiful insides mean beautiful outsides. On a somewhat related note, if you wouldn't drink your moisturizer (or toner, or cleanser, or body wash, or soap, or self tanner), then don't put it on your face. Just sayin'.



Chem class: I'm making my own sauerkraut!


I made like, a quarter of this recipe because I don't have enough glass containers into which I can put plates/tiny ice cream bowls.


WMBAW, aka What My Brother Ate Wednesday: I made him a strawberry bloob raspberry nanner hemp smoothie and had a few sips. Cool story, bro.


I also made him guac and chips, but apparently he doesn't like guac. He took the chips, though, which is weird because those chips don't taste like anything. I grabbed a handful of chips and devoured the guac. So good, and so simple. Just mash up a ripe avocado with a fork, squeeze in the juice of a lime (you can use a lemon if you don't have/don't like limes, or ACV... or nothing), and add a pinch of celtic sea salt, some pepper, and a tiny bit of cayenne. Guac in five three. It takes longer to locate the ingredients than it takes to actually make it. Eating it up is only a little bit longer.


Lunch: Half a can of Amy's refried beans (I'm not a fan of canned things since most brands, even the organic ones, use BPA in the packaging, but I had to use it up. You know how it is. Also, yes, half a can. I ate the rest of the can with a spoon. SO GOOD), some local spinach and a few tomato slices on spelt sourdough bread (yeast free and local and super clean! Yay!) grilled with some EVOO on the bread. I would have totes used coconut oil (I love me some coconut oil), but it was upstairs and I didn't want to run and get it. #DefinitionOfLazy
I also had a dinky little salad with spinach, cabbage, carrots and EVOO.


Dinner: A bowl of berries with brown rice syrup (I could live on that stuff. Nay, I want to live on that stuff) and cinnamon x2, not because I was hungry or needed more calories, but because it tasted so damn good. Again, you know how it is.


Again with the bread... I think I'm gonna do a real WIAW tomorrow. I feel like this one was kind of boring, and again not very representative of what I eat most of the time. I was thinking as I was doing yoga today (is that the point or is it against the purpose of doing yoga? I'm not sure) that maybe the reason why I gravitate towards bread on Tuesdays is because I get stressed out about WIAW and feel like I need to please people. That probably definitely doesn't make any sense, but whatever. I feel like I leave out a lot of stuff about my life/my thoughts and stuff because people would judge me. IRL I don't care what people think about me so I don't have a CLUE as to why I would care what people online thought about me. I'm done with being safe or caring about what other people think. This is my blog. If I wanna bitch, I'm gonna bitch. If I want to share some kooky "extreme" shit I'm doing and not worry that people are going to say I'm eating a restrictive diet because I don't regularly consume large amounts of fats (want cramps at that time of month? Eat a high fat diet) or indulge in cupcakes and cookies often (and if I do, I always make it "healthy". I feel like crap if I don't. No, not guilty, but like crap. Headaches, stomach aches, unmotivated for a few days. Not worth it) and live off of salads, then I will share it. If I wanna drink clay, then I will. I've been kind of down on blogging recently, so I think it's time I start doing what I really want to do, not what I think other people would be happy to see.

Just letting you guys know :)

Also I'm making a blueberry pie sometime next week. Vegan (duh), cane sugar-free, wheat-free and DELICIOUS, or so the recipe looks to be. I think I might also do a post on honey. I <3 the bees and unfortunately they have even less of a voice than farm animals. Maybe I'll do a food philosophy post too. Who knows? (Not me)

What did you eat today? Have you juiced before? If so, have you juiced daikon and/or dandelion greens? Do you like ginger? What's the weirdest, most out there thing you've done for your health? Drinking clay is up there ;)

17 comments:

  1. I love your green juice - so green and so healthy! :) I like dandelion greens, my grandma use them in many recipes! And ginger is so good, I love fresh ginger tea, I add grated ginger to stir fries or smoothies.
    And hey, your opinions are the only thing that matters! If you feel like doing/writing/eating something, just go for it, there´s no reason to feel sorry, guilty or shameful! I love your meals and your posts just the way they are :) I am really looking forward to reading that post on honey, there is so much misunderstandings about honey in vegan diets.
    I have never drinked clay, but I have probably done many weird things :)) The one that I really do remember is eating only watermelon for two days, because I had read about supposed cleansing and health improving benefits. Well, what can I say - I was young and stupid and ended with a major tiredness, fatigue, head ache and so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dannng girl, that green juice sounds awesome! Packed with all the good stuff, make me one!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. thehealthycupcakeJune 22, 2011 at 6:47 AM

    Hi! Just came over from the WIAW party!! Your juice sounds sooo yummy! I'm a little jealous, as my juicer is currently still packed up from moving!!

    Hah, love your deep thoughts on yoga, sometimes I feel like I get some good self reflection done...but isn't the mind supposed to be cleared?! Whatever works :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha my brother won't eat anything DELICIOUS either ;) hehe I'm impressed with your greens in that smoothie! I usually just toss in some spinach but you've practically got a whole garden in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much healthy! And who doesn't like GUAC?? Yummmm. I love love love your rule for body/beauty products by the way--if you're going to put in ON you, you should be willing to put it IN you. That said, my soap/shampoo/lotion collection needs a good revamp--have any recommended products/homemade stuff?

    And I love ginger/am borderline obsessed with it. I made carrot ginger soup with an ENTIRE ginger root in it (and only about 3/4 lb of carrots), and put ginger in just about everything I can (my roommates won't let me cook them stir fry any more for just this gingery reason :D )

    And YES, that is the purpose of a blog--do what you want! If you get crap for it, hey, it's e-crap that is easy to ignore, and you will have said what you wanted to say, so why does it matter? I like to read about real people and what they do, and I like to try to keep my blog accurate to my thoughts/life/need for expression as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thelittleveganbakerJune 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM

    You're like, one of the few people I know who has actually tried dandelion greens. Props ;) I always forget to add ginger to my smoothies, which is really annoying because my fave smoothie of all time is my fave because of the ginger in it.
    Thanks, my dear :) In the beginning of my veganism I ate honey but once I understood why people don't eat honey I stopped.
    Ah yes, the melon diet/cleanse. I've heard that it's good because of the special digestive enzymes in melons, so they really get you clean and improve your digestion but if you don't ease into it (or even if you do ease into it, but are just unlucky) you can experience major detox symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thelittleveganbakerJune 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM

    It was sooo good. I like my green juices bitter from all the greens. Last week I had one with some apple and carrots and it was sooo sweet that it totally threw me off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. blog about whateverrrrrr you want girl! =) this blog is for you more than anyone else out there (though we heart stalking you!) so go nuts with it!

    Happy WIAW!!! <3

    ps: i would totally eat my face wash =) haha! i agree with you 100%

    ReplyDelete
  9. thelittleveganbakerJune 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM

    Woop woop! The juice was really good. Today's juice was good too. I threw in a beet and it was GORGEOUS. Prettiest shade of magenta ever :D I'd cry if I didn't have access to my juicer.
    Hah that's what I was thinking. I'm trying to clear my head but I always do my best thinking during yoga. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thelittleveganbakerJune 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

    What can I say, I love my greens :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thelittleveganbakerJune 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM

    Crazy people don't like guac, that's who. I use coconut oil for all my moisturizing stuff. My soap, shampoo and conditioner are from Lush, but once I finish them up I'm gonna try using baking soda and water for shampoo, ACV and water as my conditioner, and Dr. Bronner's soap for body wash. For my face, I use a cleanser from Eminence Organics, which is ridiculously expensive but it lasts forever and it's got really good ingredients. I use a mixture of ACV and water as a toner. For moisturizing my face I'll usually rub some coconut oil on my hands and then rub my hands on my face. As a spot treatment I use tea tree oil. I also use a natural deodorant. I have a few, but most days it's one from Terra Naturals. Hah, so those are all the things in my beauty repertoire. Sometimes I'll cut a lemon in half and use it on my face as an exfoliator, or I'll mix up some nutmeg and some kind of syrup. If your skin is sensitive you could brew up some chamomile tea and use that as a toner. OH and I use a Clarisonic skin brush. And I do dry brushing... I should just write a post on this.

    HAH I want to try some of that carrot ginger soup. It sounds AMAZING.

    E-crap. Nice :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should most definitely blog about whatever you want! It's your blog :] I do find myself in the position you were talking about sometimes though. Oh and I would actually eat my face cleanser and toner. Not so sure about my moisturizer :D Maybe I need to find an alternative to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thelittleveganbakerJune 22, 2011 at 8:15 PM

    Brb, getting to know my stalkers :)

    Happy WIAW to you too!

    Yay! I feel like the online community is so much more enlightened on so many things, and IRL whenever I tell people things they push it to the side and ignore the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thelittleveganbakerJune 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM

    Use raw coconut oil! It's what I use :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Stephanie! I wanted to let you know about an upcoming vegan cookbook by an author who is a fan of The Little Vegan Baker. Please shoot me an email at sarah@benbellabooks.com for more info! Thanks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY for Green Smoothies! :D I wonder if I could make juice with my Blend Tec -- I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thelittleveganbakerJune 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM

    If you strain it with a nutmilk bag, cheesecloth or a paint strainer bag then you can! Just blend it up with enough water to make it blend, strain, and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete